Zi71bFS9nQHnivtvUJquhejTHIQ The Story Factory Reading Zone: Review: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami

Saturday 22 November 2014

Review: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami








Goodreads Blurb:

Here are animated crows, a criminal monkey, an ice man, as well as the dreams that shape us and the things we wish for. Whether during a chance reunion in Italy, a romantic exile in Greece, a holiday in Hawaii or in the grip of everyday life, Murakami's characters confront loss, or sexuality, or the glow of a firefly, or the impossible distance between those who ought to be closest of all. 


My Review:

I picked up this book, thinking how many good things I'd heard about Murakami's other books. What I got was a fantastical, and weird, series of short stories.

Welcome to the unexpected! A few of the stories struck me as quite profound. but I'm afraid to admit that I found most of them quite baffling. None of them were rounded off in the style of western-sensibilities.

The narratives were well-written and in several cases I became quite interested in the characters. Unfortunately there wasn't enough time to let these stories develop and I often found the endings unsatisfactory. 

I kept feeling that I should enjoy this book, but it just didn't do it for me. If you want something different then try this book, if not don't bother.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...