Zi71bFS9nQHnivtvUJquhejTHIQ The Story Factory Reading Zone: Networking Through the Armchair

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Networking Through the Armchair

I'd like to introduce you to Serena of Savvy Verse and Wit. I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Serena as part of the Armchair BEA. Here are the results:


1. Why did you decide to start a blog?

I started a couple blogs at once just to keep in touch with friends, talk about books, and talk about writing experiences and hardships.  Eventually, one of my blogs was closing as Yahoo revamped its systems and the other was just too limited in terms of design and access to outside readers.  I started a blog on blogger, Savvy Verse & Wit, and talked mostly about poems from literary magazines when I started and about my writing.  The blog has since grown in the last 3-4 years to be mostly reviews, with a sprinkling of interviews, event recaps, and guest posts, among other things.

2. Do you have a favourite book genre?

I love love love poetry and want more people to read it.  Like other genres, there is something in poetry for everyone.  You just have to try some different poets out and you'll find what interests you.  Other than poetry, I really enjoy literary fiction, historical fiction, mystery/crime, and many other genres.  It would probably be easiest for me to tell you what I'm not too crazy about reading.

3. What are your top tips for writing poetry?

I have no tips for writing poetry.  Just write what comes to you and in any form that it takes.  It's a poem.  If you want to write in a particular form, i.e. sonnet, pick up some of the greats, like Shakespeare, and start copying the style.  Wash and repeat and you will make it your own at some point.  Reading poetry on a regular basis can help improve your own as well.

4. How do you decide what challenges and memes to take part in?

I take part in only those challenges and memes that interest me or the ones I enjoy most.  Mailbox Monday/In My Mailbox is one I enjoy because I get to see what other new books are coming to the market even if they aren't in my inbox.  I've found some great titles to buy at the bookstore that way.  Challenges are fun, but I tend to get too overwhelmed sometimes, so I really have to be careful with how many I take on, plus I'm running two of my own -- the U.S. Civil War Reading Challenge and the Fearless Poetry Reading Challenge -- this year.

5. Can you tell readers some more about how you use social networks in relation to your blog.

Social media networks for me are a take em or leave em opportunity.  I've got the Facebook and Twitter accounts linked to the feed of my blog, so new posts, giveaways, etc. are automatically posted with little work on my part. Facebook is where I am more often than not because I connect with other bloggers and writers there on a more personal level, as well as keep in touch with family.  Twitter is something I only check once a month, though sometimes more depending on if I have the time.  I know a lot of other bloggers are more avid social media users than I am.  I use them as much or as little as I want because I honestly have other job and home obligations that need my attention, especially my newborn daughter.


Do check out Serena's blog- I'm sure she'd love you to visit.

If you'd like to read the interview that I was interviewee in then click here
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...