Zi71bFS9nQHnivtvUJquhejTHIQ The Story Factory Reading Zone: Book Blogger Hop #1

Saturday 22 January 2011

Book Blogger Hop #1

This weeks question is 'Why Do You Read the Genre that you do? What draws you to it?'
I tend to read a wide-variety of different genres, so I guess for me the question is more 'why do I read a wide variety of genres and what draws me to a certain genre at a particular time?'
My interest in books is mainly about discovering another world and becoming a part of it. This means that I'm mostly interested in how the author writes and the enthusiam with which they express their characters and settings. I used to really love Science Fiction novels just because they took you to such different places. This interest has continued with authors such as Ursula Le Guin. It has also expanded to include comic fantasy worlds such as those created by Terry Pratchett and Jasper Fforde. Book that can make you laugh are a great joy to me, as they allow a real escape from everyday life- its stress and worries.
As well as journeying to these fantasy worlds I enjoy reading historical novels, especially those by Christian Jacq. Again, this is about experiencing another culture- this time Ancient Egypt. I love knowing that these characters are based on reality and learning about real places through them.
The last genres that I read a lot of (but not so much recently) are books about people growing up in or escaping difficult situations. These can be autobiographies, biographies, based on reality or pure fiction. I think, for me, this is partly about appreciating how good my life really is and partly about the good feelings when their situation changes. These are often hard reads, however, so I have to be in the right mood to read them. The consequence- whilst I still have a large number of these reads on my wishlist I have an equally large number on my TBR shelves.
In summary, the genres that I read are varied. I'm drawn to them by the idea of going into another world. 

You can find out more about the Book Blogger Hop at Crazy-for-Books.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...